Sunday, 27 January 2013

Horsing Around.


 Well, the rain came down in this neck of the woods and the snow went.
The sun came out on Saturday, and I almost had to go and have a little lie down to cope with the shock.
The weekend is turning out to be lovely actually, bloody cold but it's nice to go out without wondering if I'll make it to the end of the pavement with my dignity still attached. It's also nice to see colours back after they were hidden by white.
I had some parcels arrive, the last of my I'm stuck indoors ebay splurgette. Two new to me tops with a  horse theme because I do love horses, especially when they make up a bonkers print.
I spied this carousel print top for 99p.  I did that ebay classic, jumped straight in with a largish (for me) bid because I wanted it. Then I checked the size...8. No way would I get in to an 8, so I figured I could recycle it somehow and add it to the massive stash pile of forlorn fabrics.
 But lo...it turned up and is more like a 12 that fits when I'm guessing it's meant to be baggy.
A comment from the House of Trouser along the lines of that's a fucking weird print. It looks like they're sliding down ropes,  just made it better.
I saw this printed top in Debenhams a while back when I got my Henry Holland bag. It wasn't cheap enough for me to buy both together, so when I spied this one in perfect nick, 'twas mine. So both horsey tops for under a fiver even with postage which seems to be going up and up on ebay lately.




Staying with the nags, I got a big bag of vintage animal cake toppers, Sixties I think, from my trip around Etsy. They came promptly from the US and I naturally had to make some cakes to try them for size.



There are so many of them, I thinking of using a couple in some jewellery projects but the Rearing Green Horse has gone from cake to the Shelf of Shit where he will stay.

My time indoors out of the snow wasn't all spent by getting stuff from t'internet.
I did do some sewing. If you recall, I had this barkcloth to use but couldn't decide what to make from it. In the end, I listened to the Queen of Curtain Couture, and went for clothing. It was going to be a skirt but in the end I knocked up a tunic. A Tree Top if you will.

And I'm very glad I did.

 I do like being able to clash with, yet compliment my own soft furnishings.

I've also done a fair bit of knitting mostly because I can do that in front of the fire. I can't quite believe I've knitted that there and it doesn't look like proper shite. No idea what it's going to be mind you. I've yet to get to grips with reading patterns without loosing interest halfway through. My knittist mate assures me that they are much easier than sewing patterns and tells me to  stop being a twat over it.
So my lovelies, I'm going to naff orf after my catch up.
As my life is so rock n'roll and frankly one long fecking party, I will get on with some Sunday chores. I actually have a list today like a grown up or else I'll get distracted by Poirot repeats, Borgen on i-player, cake or something shiny.

I must have another cuppa before I do anything though....

Have a good one.
x

15 comments:

PinkCheetahVintage said...

Such fun stuff!! So great you ended up fitting the blouse, it's very cute! I LOVE the animal cake toppers- those are the best! Love that you sewed yourself a tunic... I'm becoming very interested in sewing lately--proper sewing, not just mending rips and putting buttons back on :)

Krista Gassib said...

I love seeing pictures of you, your bloody gorgeous and you got skull tats! Must see more! I adore you horsey shirts and the tunic dress you made. Now show me that tat!
Xxoo

Miss Simmonds Says said...

I do that sort of thing on eBay quite a lot! Love the carousel top! And the other horse top too. I really like your homemade tunic, though you have only photographed it from the waist up! The fabric is brilliant! Looking forward to Spring now!! Xxx

Louise Mc said...

I love your horsey print tops, they are gorgeous. I love equine type stuff. Your knitting is far better than mine, I'm still on my first ever scarf knit and the thought of going near a knitting patterns scares the shite out of me. Yet, I can follow a sewing pattern happily. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and give it a try. xx

Ofelia said...

Lovely shirts, cupcakes and its very nice to see your face!

Penny-Rose said...

I love the carousel top - very cute. The tree fabric top is lovely - and so it the curtain you are standing in front of!!!

Miss Magpie said...

Love the first top, cracking bargain! It's Royal mail you should blame the prices they charge for postage is getting bonkers these days

Vix said...

Well don't you look gorgeous in your new-found horsey tops? That horse-on-a-rope blouse fits like a dream and I'm loving that gorgeous skull tatt peeking out. Contemporary sizes, they're mental!
Those horse toppers are ace & I'm in awe of the tree top.
You're a total star, you've convinced me to get out of my post-Goa funk and get sewing! No curtain is safe!
Loads of love! xxxxxxxxxxx

delia hornbook said...

Aaahhh you look gorgeous i love that first photo of you, you look beautiful. Loving your horsey top and red one you made, im loving loving those yellow curtains to. Im so relived the snow has gone to maybe we can start living again now :-) Have a great week lovely, dee xxxx

pastcaring said...

A lady should never attempt anything on her list without first having another cup of tea, Em - that's the Law!
Horses on a rope - genius! Your representative of the House of Trouser has a point, but like you, I think it just makes the print all the better! The second horsey top is also a winner and your barkcloth tree tunic is fabulous.
Knitting and baking too? You are a proper lady, you'd make someone a lovely wife! xxxxx

Misfits Vintage said...

Listen to Curtise - she's the world expert on Tea Law!

LOVE the horses on a rope blouse - LOVE the peekaboo tattoo - LOOOVE your smiling face - LOOOOOOVE the barkcloth tunic and the curtains. Superstar.

Sarah xxx

Mitzi said...

The horse pattern tops would be fun to wear whilst riding the Steeplechase and the Derby race at Blackpool's Pleasure Beach this summer.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Love the fairground horsies, how lucky that it fitted. And your tree top/curtains combo is fab too.

xx

MyStyle said...

Hi there! wow, you scored well with your horsey tops, both look amazing and very stylish too! I really like your homemade treetop tunic, perfect colouring and a fabulous pattern! xx

Sacramento Amate said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love, love, love those prints, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Happy weekend, Ivy.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX